16 Sherman St
San Francisco, CA 94103
Victoria Manalo Draves Park, a two acre park in SOMA, opened in October, 2006. It is located on Folsom Street between 6th and 7th streets. The park features a ball field, basketball court, bathrooms, a childrens' play area, a community garden, a landscaped area, picnic area, and play field. More information, including garden plot availability, is located on the Recreation and Parks Department Urban Agriculture website.
Victoria Manalo Draves was a Filipina American competitive diver and Olympic gold medalist, who was the first American woman to win two gold medals in diving, and the first Asian American to win Olympic gold medals. Draves grew up in SOMA where she and her twin sister attended the nearby Franklin School (Now Bessie Carmichael). Draves overcame racism in both her personal life and diving career to reach her athletic pinnacle in the 1948 Olympics held in London. She won gold medals in springboard and platform diving at these games with her outstanding performance, which is depicted in this video.
She is remembered today as both an AAPI and female pioneer and hero. Learn more about Draves by visiting her honorary plaque located on site.
Nearby Arts + Culture
- Liminal Space SF16 Sherman St (adjacent)
- SIY Gallery1026 Folsom St (437 feet N)
- Little Raven Gallery1015 Howard St (873 feet NW)
- Dwight Eschliman Photography975 Folsom St (889 feet NE)
Nearby Eat + Drink
- Extreme Pizza1063 Folsom St (152 feet NW)
- Deli Board1058 Folsom St (295 feet NW)
- Terroir Natural Wine Bar & Merchant1116 Folsom St (469 feet W)
- Sightglass Coffee270 7th St (521 feet W)
- Bike Connection1090 Folsom St (328 feet W)
- Maltby Electric Supply Co., Inc336 7th St (370 feet SW)
- Kelly-Moore Paints1020 Harrison St (526 feet E)
- Harrison & Bonini1122 Harrison St (595 feet S)
- 7th and Harrison Lot - Lot #205415 7th St (603 feet SE)
- 301 6th St Parking300 Shipley (627 feet NE)
- 833 Bryant St Parking833 Bryant St (0.2 miles SE)
- Ampco Parking -- 833 Bryant St. (between 6th & 7th streets)833 Bryant St (0.2 miles SE)