We are sharing this funding opportunity at the request of Community Vision.
SOMA Cultural Anchor Fund
Letters of Interest Due July 23, 2021
The SOMA Cultural Anchor Fund provides capital grants for arts and culture nonprofits that have been negatively impacted by the 5M development project and have a substantial track record of serving the South of Market (SOMA) neighborhood in San Francisco. Ideal projects will be one-time, real estate-related investments that catalyze long-term sustainability for the organization and long-term anchoring for the SOMA community. There is $540,000 available in capital grants for acquisition, construction, predevelopment activities, and one-time operating expenses.
The SOMA Cultural Anchor Fund is administered by Community Vision and supported by the San Francisco Arts Commission.
Letters of Interest are due by 12 pm PST on Friday, July 23, 2021
- Must be a registered nonprofit organization. Fiscally-sponsored organizations are eligible.
- Must be located in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco.
Eligible Use of Funds
- All costs must be associated with one-time leasing or acquisition projects.
- One-time operating costs are eligible, including lease deposits and investments in staffing or contractors to add capacity for the project, up to 50% of the requested amount. Monthly rent is not an eligible cost.
- Predevelopment costs are eligible, including but not limited to design, due diligence, capital campaign fundraising, and permitting, up to 50% of the requested amount.
- Construction costs are eligible, including general and specialty contractors, up to 100% of the requested amount.
- Acquisition costs are eligible up to 10% of the purchase price, and up to 100% of the requested amount. See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for more information about acquisition projects.
- All service contracts will need to comply with Community Vision’s Procurement Guidelines for San Francisco Capital Grants (link will be posted on website soon).
- Expenses incurred or paid from the date of this announcement forward are eligible.
Application Information Webinars
Join us to learn more about the SOMA Cultural Anchor Fund and application process.
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
2:30 pm PST
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
6 pm PST
About the Review Process
Community Vision, in partnership with Facilities, Arts, and Communities Experts (FACE), will review the LOIs and invite program-aligned projects to complete a full application. These invitations will be issued the week of August 30, 2021 and full applications will be due Friday, October 29, 2021 at 12 pm PST.
The FACE group is a panel of local experts who are experienced arts, culture, and community development leaders that will assist Community Vision with making funding recommendations. Panelists bring unique industry perspectives, and are deeply-rooted members of their communities. Panelist bios will be posted soon.
- Mission fit
- Track record and organizational impact
- Project’s long-term impact on organization
- Project’s long-term impact on community
- Impact of the 5M project on organization
Learn more by visiting